Many Sudoku players use a computer program to assist them in solving these puzzles. If you are looking for such a program, you can find several of them in this list. The most popular programs are described in detail on a separate page. This information is not yet complete. Feel free to complete it if you are an experienced user.
Programs for Ordinary Sudoku
These programs focus on ordinary Sudoku, and may also support Sudoku Variants.
- Simple Sudoku
- A popular program, easy to use. Generator, helper and solver. Only a limited set of solving techniques have been implemented. Windows only.
- Sudoku Susser
- Powerful helper and solver, available for Mac-OS, Windows and Linux.
- Powerful user configurable solver, helper with several tools, generator. Supports Sudoku-X, Windoku and Disjoint Groups variants. Windows only.
- Sudoku Assistenten
- A powerful PC based solver, analyzer and generator.
- Sudoku Explainer | DiufSudoku
- A Java solver, analyzer and generator. The most advanced solving techniques that are implemented are heavy on Forcing Chains and Forcing Nets.
- A fast, open source command line Sudoku solver for ordinary Sudokus.
- Simple solver, helper and generator. Very easy to use, Windows version only.
- A solver, helper and generator for Palm OS.
- SadMan Sudoku
- A popular and easy to use solver, helper and generator for Windows.
- Starfish Sudoku
- A powerful, easy to use and fun Sudoku player for Windows (no longer available)
- Powerful solver/generator/analyzer, supports more than 70 different techniques. Written in Java.
- Sudoku Snake
- A very powerful generating, design and solving program for the PC that supports a wide variety of solving techniques and user tools. Contains two modes, design and solve.
- Free Sudoku
- A free, popular sudoku game download. (no longer available)
- An advanced Sudoku generator and solver with strong emphases on analysing and solving very hard Sudokus. Windows only.
- A sudoku generator, solver, analyzer, and tutor of techniques. (no longer available)
- Windows Sudoku
- A generator and helper, which gives access to online puzzles.
- Sudoku Game Solver Generator
- This is the most complete and standalone Sudoku puzzle suite for Windows, for players who prefer to solve Sudokus with singles only.
- Into Sudoku
- The best program I have found for learning specific solving techniques by using the "hint" function. Program graphically illustrates loops, chains, etc. the best. Is not the easiest interface for simpler functionalities. Works on XP SP3 but I have not tested it yet on Windows 7. (2011-04-04, DrDrTed)
Programs for Sudoku Variants
These programs focus on one or more of the Sudoku Variants, and may also support ordinary Sudoku.
- A Java generator, helper and solver. The focus of this solver is Killer Sudoku, although ordinary Sudoku is also supported. (no longer available)
- Perfect Sudoku
- A helper and solver for the Killer Sudoku variant. Windows only. (no longer available)
- Cross Plus A
- A powerful solver for many variants: Killer Sudoku, Samurai, Flower Sudoku, Sudoku-X, Jigsaw Sudoku, Greater Than, Consecutive Sudoku, Even-Odd, Sukaku. A generator for Greater Than and Even-Odd Sudoku. Windows only.
- A very powerful generator, helper and solver for many variants. German and English UI. Windows only.
- A generator, helper and solver for Sudoku-DG. Same author ad similar user interface as SudoGu. German language. Windows only.